Facts and figures on obesity - a global epidemic
• In the UK obesity has almost tripled in the past 20 years.
It has been estimated that by 2010, one in four adults will be obese (4).
• It has been estimated that 2-8% of the total sick care costs
in Western countries are attributable to obesity (4).
• In Europe the prevalence of obesity has increased by
approximately 10-40% in the past 10 years. Prevalence in European
countries ranges from 10-20% in men and 10-25% in women (4).
• There are 58 million adults who are overweight in America;
40 million are obese and 3 million morbidly obese (4).
• In 1998 WHO declared childhood obesity as a global epidemic. An estimated
17.6 millionchildren under the age of 5 are overweight worldwide (1).
• In developing countries it is estimated that over 115 million people
suffer from obesity related problems (5).
2) National Audit office (2001). Tackling obesity in England
6) Gallagher S.M. (1999). Restructuring the therapeutic environment to promote care and safety for the obese patient. Journal of Wound Ostomy and Continence Nursing; 26:292-7
7) Thompson G. Achieving handling excellence for the larger patient with a specialist ‘Transfer Chair’. Abstract, Wounds – UK, Harrogate 2004